1) Management Dilemma: As our major source of income which was Kelley Blue Book available in black and white has declined, how will we increase our revenues?
2) Management Question: How will we influence advertisers to place more and more advertisements on our web sites so we can increase the revenue generated for the company?
3) Research Question(s): Should we hire NetC for making our website more attractive to the customers and advertisers?
4) Investigative Questions: What is the likelihood that the revenue will increase after using the NetC service? What is the possibility that customers satisfaction will increase by hiring NetC service? Is there a high chance that the costs invested in the researching will be covered? Will the usage of the NetC service be fruitful to the KBB?
5) Measurement Questions: The management should survey their online customers, if the customers are comfortable with the changes that the company is implementing. By a rating method such as this, for each effect, specify a number between 1 and 5 where 5 = extreme unease, 3 = neither at ease nor unease, and 1 = no unease at all.
…… Shortening of the page length
…… Pop ups that appear on the websites
…… Drop down boxes
…… New Alterations in the layout of the site
6) Management Decisions:
The final decision of the manager after the research has been conducted comes in this stage. In this case the manager agrees to utilize the NetC service, as the research must have been pointing to a positive outlook.
The stage 1 process of the research process has already been conducted. We focus on the research design strategy part, in the data analysis part the researchers emphasized on the most effective path for the service, the one that does not irritate the customers and in the process there is an opportunity to place advertisements. Additionally it analyzed how the scrolling down of data effects the customers and the length of the page should be reduced. On the basis of the mouse clicking event, it was discovered that those areas close to the logo of the company should be hot linked as those were the areas that received the most clicks. The last stage of the data analysis is to write down all the details of the research with vital data in a report and give it to the company along with the presented recommendations. However those companies who want to test the research method to see if it works can use the Hill Climbing procedure. This deals with selecting a random sample from the population and making it work with the changed website and making a comparison to see if differences exist between the behaviors of those using the old and new websites.
The method for sampling used in this case is simple random sampling where approximately one of every thousandth visitor to the KBB website saw the changes in the original site. In this method of sampling, from the entire population all the constituents are given an equal chance to be selected as a part of the sample. Also in this sampling technique there is a high degree of generalizability that means that the sample selected will not have any common characteristics to them. Hence due to the sample selected not having any similarities amongst them, thus this method will not aid in further gathering of useful, specific information about the population. Also this method is the least bias as compared to the other sampling methods as it is truly random. The disadvantage of this technique is this that it is expensive to carry out as it requires the list of the entire population which might not be available, therefore to actually conduct this technique is hard to accomplish practically. The random sampled people chosen by NetC who observed the changed website and those visitors who viewed the currently in place website, a comparison was made to see the differences that existed between their behaviors. The Hill Climbing procedure helped in understanding the accurate distinction between the current and the future changes on a generalized basis.
Sekaran , Uma (2008). Research Methods for Business . John Wiley & Sons Inc; 4Rev Ed edition.