On on November 7, 1932 they concluded

On March 25, 1931, nine black boys were taken into custody on charges of assault and attempted murder. The boys, whose ages ranged from thirteen to nineteen, got into a fight on a train on their way to Tennessee. When they got off the train, a group of people were waiting for them and that is when the arrest took place. Upon arriving to the jail, they were accused with rape of two women, Victoria Price and Ruby Bates. During this time in history, lynching was a popular form of justice among people in the South. However, the sheriff and governor of Alabama were not fans of this violent act to get justice. Therefore, the first trial begins. During the first trial, the boys started accusing each other of performing the crime. In an interview years later, the youngest suspect, Roy Wright, explained that the day before he testified, he was beaten by a deputy sheriff to accuse the other boys. He also stated that he wasn’t the only one that this happened to. Eight of the nine boys were found guilty and sentenced to death, except Wright, who was only thirteen years old at the time. After hearing about this verdict, attorneys in the North were sent to help the boys and they appealed the trial. The U.S Supreme Court looked over the case and on November 7, 1932 they concluded that it would be “judicial murder” to execute the boys without a fair trial. They passed the boys case back to Alabama court for a retrial. On March 27, 1933, the second trial began with a new defense attorney, Samuel Leibowitz. During the second trial, after word got out that the two women were prostitutes, Ruby Bates had confessed to lying about the whole thing to protect her and Price. With the jury and observers confused and shocked, the prosecution claimed that Bates was lying. Despite the confession from Bates, the jury found the boys guilty once again. In the end, after the case was thrown back and forth between Alabama courts and the U.S Supreme Court, the five older boys were given long term prison sentences. The younger four boys were given freedom because of their age at the time of the incident. In the end, all of the boys got out early with parole after fifteen to twenty-five years in prison.