The cable railway is 71m long and will take you 40m high. The angle is said to be 36 grades. Opening hours 10. 00 – 19. 00 all twelvemonth unit of ammunition.
– up and down grownups 3Lt. pensionaries and school kids 2Lt – up OR down adults 2 Lt. pensionaries and school kids 1Lt
The so called Upper Castle. or Gediminas Castle. was built at the beginning of the fourteenth century on the site of an earlier wooden 1. A century later it was rebuilt and strenghtened. Along with the Lower Castle ( now gone ) and the defensive wall it formed a powerful defensive system. But easy itlost its importance and after the harm caused in the war with Russia in 1655. it was left unrebuilt. After the World War II the best lasting tower was restored. It now houses a museum and an observa- tion platform.
The museum is unfastened:
May – Sept 10. 00 – 19. 00 whole hebdomad
Oct – April Tuesday to Sunday. 10. 00 to 17. 00.
Entrance fee 5Ltl for grownups. pensionaries and school kids 2Ltl. To the E of the tower are the ruins of the ducal castle.
The Gediminas’ Tower is an of import historic symbol of the metropolis of Vilnius and of Lithuania. It is the lone staying portion of the Upper Castle. The first wooden munitions were built by Gediminas – the Duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
There is historic grounds of a palace being located at the top of Gediminas Hill since the early fourteenth century. The original palace was made of wood and there is uncertaintainty around when precisely the rock palace was built. Originally the palace was built to protect the metropolis of Vilnius from encroachers and gave a great vantage point ove the metropolis and environing countryside. Over the centuries the metropolis of Vilnius was attacked five times but the palace was ne’er successfully taken. It was merely in the seventeenth century. during the war with Moscow. did the palace eventually succumb to foreign invasion when it was about wholly destroyed. Recently. parts of the palace have been restored. but entree to the inside of the palace is still non possible for visitants.
Reasonably easy walk ( presuming you’re have oning good walking places ) up Gedeminas Hill allows for fantastic positions of Vilnius. The orangish-red roofs of old town spread out below. while taller modern edifices can be seen in the distance. a reminder that Vilnius is both a historical site and modern. populating metropolis. At the top of the hill stands the remains of the Upper Castle. built in the fifteenth century. Inside the tower is a museum detailing some of the city’s history. Climb to the top of the tower for even better positions of the metropolis below. For a alteration of gait. take the funicular down to the underside of the hill when you’re ready to go forth. It’s a merriment drive. and speedy!
The first lumber palace was built on Castle Mount by Grand Duke Gediminas around 1320. It was replaced by a brick one in the 2nd half of the fourteenth century. which had to be re-built by Grand Duke Vytautas after a fire in 1419. The palace served the Polish male monarchs as a bell metalworks and a gaol and. subsequently. as King Sigismund August’s library. In 1655 it was conquered by the Muscovites. which was the start of its gradual diminution. The lone staying portion of it at present is merely one tower which houses the Museum of the Castle. From its top you can look up to the view of Vilnius. Unfortunately. we could merely see the palace from below. There were no guideposts to the cable railway and it was acquiring excessively tardily for us to try a walk. The images of the view of the town were taken by my friend on her stay in Vilnius.
All Lithuanians know a fable about constitution of Vilnius metropolis. It was the beginning of fourteenth century when Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas stopped for an nightlong near meeting of Neris and Vilnele rivers. That dark he dreamt an Fe wolf ululating on a hill. In the forenoon his forecaster Lizdeika explained his dream as a mark for him to construct here a metropolis as it will go a well known and widely resounded in all over the World. Gediminas ordered to pour a hill at the same topographic point he slept. On the hill there a palace was built. the predecessor for the presents Gediminas palace.
Harmonizing to archaeological researches. the hill where Gediminas castle stands presents was already inhabited in a Neolithic period. In 11-13th centuries a wooden palace here stood. The same as Vilnius metropolis. it was mentioned in 1323 for the first clip. For more than 250 old ages since 1315. when a dynasty of Gediminaiciai ruled the Grand Duke of Lithuania. the composite of Vilnius palaces served as a solid defensive construction. The composite included the Bottom palace. the Upper palace and the Skew palace. The Bottom palace extended in a district of a few hectares. It stood at the same topographic point where now the Vilnius Cathedral stands. It looked as a separate metropolis as it included a school. an arsenal. stallss. life edifices. a cathedral. However. it eventually vanished in 1800.
The freshly built Palace of Grand Dukes of Lithuania presents symbolizes the former Bottom Castle. The Skew palace stood on the Skew hill. the same one which nowadays is known as the Bleak hill where a memorial called “Three Crosses” is erected. The Skew palace was burnt in 1390 by German Order. Remains of the Upper palace are still standing on Gediminas hill. This palace is besides called Gediminas palace. There were times when it was one of the most of import political centres in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. There is besides a tower of Gediminas palace located which can be seen good from any topographic point in Vilnius Old Town. The tower nowadays serves as a museum. an observation square and a symbol of Vilnius and the whole Lithuania.
The museum located in the tower of Gediminas palace is a portion of National museum of Lithuania. There is an expounding called “Guns and an iconography of the castle” exposed. Visitors can acquire acquainted with theoretical accounts of the composite of Vilnius palaces. historical arms and iconography of the old Vilnius. Tourists can mount up the Gediminas hill themselves in order to see the palace and the tower or they can utilize an lift working at that place daily. Fantastic positions of Vilnius metropolis open from the top of the Gediminas hill.
Some people. particularly youth. like settling on a broad rock fencing here and watch the metropolis life from above. It is an impressive topographic point where immature chaps like to take their girlfriends. metropolis ushers ever include this finish to tours around Vilnius. the hill is frequently visited by schoolchildren jaunts and separate tourers. The lone incommodiousness about the topographic point is that you must be on clip to acquire down the hill in order non to be locked in the hill district. The hill is non available to mount up all twenty-four hours long.