The outbound activities gave me a assorted penetrations into the constructs of squad work and leading which were largely merely slang or words in a text edition for me. It was a helpful and utile session and helped me to unclutter some of my ain misconceptions. It was a session where I foremost manus experienced constructs like group think and group displacement, where I realised how practically stretch ends help accomplish the end and how easy it is to do defective premises and neglect in your end because of delimited reason. The session consisted of the undermentioned activities:
Activity 1: Bicycle Tube Activity
The activity involved the whole group and we had to gauge the figure of people who could suit in standing into a bike tubing. The scope of replies varied from 3 to 10. I was the 1 who had given 10 as the answer and was asked to prove my hypothesis and tantrum in 10 people into the bike tubing. At the terminal, the concluding count was at all 25 pupils inside the tubing.
- Self imposed Barriers and Power of premise – In the get downing the full group underestimated the figure that they thought would suit into the tubing. Different people had different premise on which they based their replies. Some people believed that the tubing could non be stretched to suit the people. Some people did non even recognize that the tubing could be stretched. Some people over relied on their scientific discipline background and applied Hooke ‘s Law and concluded that no manner could rubber stretch that much. All the replies were based on a flawed premise and everyone tried to give a safe reply and non be picked out. A leader should seek and believe beyond his ego imposed barriers. Thingss are non ever what they appear to be at first glimpse. Leaderships try to see things otherwise and dispute their ain premises.
- Peer force per unit area and Group Think- I ab initio had a figure of around 20 in my head but I lowered it to 10 after listening to others give replies like 3 and 4. The mean reply in my group was about 7-8 and my reply of 10 singled me out to take charge of this game and turn out my point. I would hold liked to state 20 but I thought that that reply would non be right after listening to others and I subsequently realized how peer force per unit area can take to sink in judgement and can besides take to group think. In our group, there was definite group think and group displacement. No 1 gave a really different reply from what others were giving, perchance at the menace of being scoffed at. Everyone gave a really “ safe ” reply and the group hence led to diminish in hazard pickings.
- Common Goal – I saw that one time the undertaking began, people were willing to give for the group ‘s end, they sacrificed their personal infinite and their comfort degree to guarantee that the end of 10 people and so 25 people was met jointly by the end. Some members actively participated and sought out free infinite where people could fall in in and lent support to them to guarantee no 1 fell outdoors. However, there were some people who did non take such an active portion in the procedure.
- Push the Barrier- Since I was asked to suit in 10 people ab initio, after I fit in 10 people inside, I could hold stopped but I continued to seek and suit more people in merely to see how much further could the envelope be pushed. However, there were some pupils who felt that there was no demand to make anything farther since 10 people were already in the tubing. I learnt that I am a sort of a individual who likes to force and interrupt barriers. I would non wish accept position quo and force the alteration to the maximal extent possible.
- Stretch Goals small by little- Having little and realizable marks in head led us to bit by bit get down inquiring for more and more people to step inside the tubing therefore raising the entire count. Had we put our initial end at 25 in the beginning, it is possible we would hold given up sooner. But by puting out end at 10 and so increasing our end to merely one more individual and so merely one more individual i.e.by put to deathing little incremental marks allowed us to suit in all 25 pupils in the tubing.
- Power of motive in team- The function of people who were active in inquiring other people to fall in in and who identified infinite where they could fall in in was really critical. They built enthusiasm amongst the less active participants and made them fall in in. They identified who could suit in where and motivated the more inactive members to take a more active function in the attainment of the end.
Activity 2: Minefields Activity
In this activity, the group was asked to traverse the minefield utilizing green safe countries, a blue nomadic safe country and bamboo sticks as Bridgess. No member could touch any countries which was non green or bluish as that was a mine and would ensue in harm of that individual and would do a punishment of 5 proceedingss. The purpose was to derive the maximal net income by acquiring every bit many people through the mine field as possible. This activity should hold required a batch of planning and at first glimpse looked much simpler than it really was.
- Planning- While the squad was wholly focused on the undertaking at manus, we did non recognize merely how of import planning was in this activity and hence did non hold the best consequences.
- Generalizing Past acquisitions to Present Scenario – A figure of us had played a similar game in the initiation and the TBHP class. We all assumed this game to be precisely the same as those games, without taking in consideration the alteration in resources and the alteration in the context. We believed that since the we had successfully conquered the old games, this excessively would be a “ bar walk ” unluckily the mines were non that easy to suppress. Hence, we can non blindly generalize our past acquisitions to the present without sing alteration in context.
- Certitude: We all had the inexplicit premise that once we figure out the easiest manner to traverse the minefield, all of us would be able to traverse it and this led to high end puting. We really assumed and believed that all 25 of us would traverse the mines in the given clip, which was a sedate overestimate on our portion.
- Improper rating of resources – Initially we overestimated the value of each point to be purchased and did non buy all the equipment that was required to finish the path. We believed ourselves to be much more flexible and the resources to be more utile than they turned out to be. Initially, our program was to purchase merely 3 bamboo sticks but in the terminal we needed to use all the 6 sticks to finish the undertaking. Therefore our scheme ne’er came near to the existent 1 that had to be used.
- Time Management- We spent upwards of 11 proceedingss in the initial planning and quibbling amongst ourselves. When the teacher told us how much clip had passed, we jumped into the executing facet without the proper planning. We could non make up one’s mind on which path to follow which led to even more wastage of clip. Therefore decently utilising clip in planning and so traveling for executing is something that is of extreme importance.
- Lack of feedback- The success of Utkarsh who crossed the minefield led us to believe that the way taken by him was the best. This sort of blinding led to all the people follow the same way and no 1 tried something different. No more thoughts were tried and the people who had crossed the mines, did non even seek and offer aid or feedback to the people traversing so as to how they could traverse it more easy.
- Division into Sub Groups and deficiency of one leader- The squad of course broken into many sub squads each working separately when no one leader was able to emerge who could successfully take all 25 people. Person in category had mentioned that many leaders emerge but I believe that in this game, non a individual leader emerged who could successfully take the squad towards it ‘s a end. There was a break down in communicating between assorted members and many good thoughts that we should hold used were either unheard or ignored. Finally some people merely gave up speech production and started following the herd.